Sunday, March 10, 2013

February 26th

First day of Normandy travels: mission Honfleur.

Honfleur is an adorable town about an hour's drive from Le Havre. Kate and I grabbed the bus round noon and headed to the smaller port town. Honfleur is essentially a rural version of Le Havre except it has cobblestone roads and beautiful architecture. Its best activity is buying chocolate.

Now I'm not a huge one for sweets audience, they have to be eaten only from time to time to avoid stomachaches. Such is my life. However, when I indulge in chocolate I only devour good quality. There is a lil chocolate shop called "Real Chocolat" located near Honfleur's town center. Every street seems to lead that way thus it's not too difficult to find. Of course Kate and I did become a little lost (we couldn't find the shop at first) but eventually rediscovered our sugary gem. I knew what I was going to buy but had difficulty decided which chocolate type that I wanted.


Ultimately it was milk chocolate and white chocolate coated marshmallow logs. So amazing and delicious. Kate grabbed a bag of mixed chocolate disks which were also fabulous, I just really loves marshmallows.

We left the small chocolate slice of heaven and resumed exploring the town. We of course nabbed souvenirs, it's our tourist duty. We both grabbed a miniature plastic ship in a bottle for two euros, sweet. I nabbed a sweet ring (I haven't worn them in a while so I needed to renew) and Kate bought a cute fish shaped dish as well. I also bought a little metal turtle for Jaimie as a birthday gift. Her birthday is on Wednesday and I remembered that she loves turtles. I'll try to find something for Sam (her twin sister who will be visiting) too, it's polite.

Lunch, oh was that awesome! Kate had a huge pot of mussels with a side of fries, the necessary combo. I decided upon pureed cod on top of mashed potatoes with a side of ratatouille. It was freakin' exquisite. Needless to say we enjoyed our lunches and had a cup of coffee afterwards, as is tradition in France; plus we were becoming a tad sleepy.

After lunch more exploring was done, just wandering throughout the cobbled streets and angled docks. It's a town in which one becomes mesmerized and entranced. You can just spend hours walking around because it's beautiful with a touch of peaceful.

In the end we waited for our bus while I finished my chocolate outside the Gare of Honfleur. It was a day well spent and a fun one at that.

All this for a loaf of bread?

1 comment:

  1. Honfleur sounds wonderful, I can't wait for us to make a return trip to Normandy and spend a day there.

    ReplyDelete