Wednesday, March 27, 2013

March 21st


This Thursday was possibly one of the longest days I've ever experienced while being abroad in France. I had my 8:30 AM as usual and discovered that my 11:00 AM was cancelled, as usual. This was alright with me because it meant I could relax at my dorm room for a few hours before my family arrived in Le Havre. That's right audience, today is that day; the day when I am temporarily reunited with my parents and older brother. To calm my nerves I rewatched the Big Lebowski. Only issue, I started craving In and Out burgers.


Three o'clock occurred and I was there at Gare du Havre ready to receive my family. I was nervous because my brother Pete was supposed to have sent me some text messages earlier that day assuring me that they had landed safely and had made their train. My phone was empty of messages. Every paranoid sector of my mind went to work on how my family had become hopelessly lost in Paris, how their luggage had been destroyed causing them to stay at the airport, how the train had left too soon making them wait at St. Lazare for another. I had some fantastical paranoias too but cyborg spiders that attach themselves to the lower spine seemed a bit farfetched. Interesting concept though.

My family arrived on time and all was merry. Sept for the weather. Le Havre had decided to greet them with a beautiful grey sky that spat rain and wind. Typical Le Havre weather. Not that I was in control of the weather but my family was slightly ticked that I had played off the weather as being mild. They seem to consider it colder here than in Chicago simply for the wind. They need to spend some serious time
in Iowa City.

After checking my family into their hotel and answering several questions we all decided to grab something to eat. Only problem, it was about four o'clock. In the States you can eat any type of food at any time, not the case in France. Here restaurants don't open until around 6:30 PM and don't start serving until 7:00 PM. Such is life. This didn't fly with my brother. Luckily Kebap places are generally open all the time and we went to my personal favorite. The owner is really chill there and makes a good Rome panini. My family enjoyed their early dinner and it wasn't long until we all walked to my univeristy campus. There I showed them library and the AI building before leading them to my classroom. Best part of the day happened soon after.

Language at 5:30 PM every Thursday with Ardouin, life can bite. My parents and brother met most of friends and we were chatting when all of us realized Ardouin wasn't there. Emma wasn't either (cough cough) but after waiting fifteen minutes no teacher. A score for MareBear! I love it when I don't have to see him during the week. Just a small ray of moonlight for me Ardouin free.

My parents returned to their hotel to sleep off some jetlag while my brother and I hung out in my dorm room. We decided that we would go out that night with some of friends but had to wait until nine or so. A decent group of us went to a bar that I had never been to before, QG Traders Bar. It is a bar that functions like quick stocks except instead of shares changing the price of beer fluctuates every 100 seconds.

Needless to say this idea is awesome and could go far in the States. The bar was cute but very simple in its design. A few uniforms, some better lighting, and more complex graphics would benefit. Everyone had a good time for the most part. There was some slight drama between a girl I know and her boyfriend but it was sorted out in the morning. Tomorrow morning, man it's going to be an awesome long weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment