Monday, March 18, 2013

March 16th


Guess who went to Paris again? I love asking you guys questions audience seeing as how pointless of an action it is for you; I never hear the answer. Anyhow I did in fact spend my Saturday in a little house near to Paris. I'll give you a hint, it's covered in gold.

Ha ha stole your picture Johnny
Versailles the Sun King's palace. I must say Louis (number 14 of course) you love yourself more than I love myself. I have yet to build a dazzling mansion that screams wealth in every room while donning my emblem everywhere. That truly is an accomplishment. However I would've gone for less gold and more black, adds to the darker sense of power. The day trip was one that I spent (again) with my British friend Jonathan. He's useful to keep around audience since I often have no idea where I'm going. Although this time he didn't have a guidebook, tsk tsk. Don’t fret we still found the palace alright.

Europe although I admire you sometimes you piss me off. For instance causing me to buy a fifteen euro ticket to see a guy's ego while allowing anyone in Europe under the age of 26 free access is a critical offense to my wallet. As an American I demonstrated my right to free speech by uttering a few "aw fuck" while buying the ticket. Welcome to Europe MareBear, they want you to learn their culture but pay for it at the same time. Yes audience I'm making a deal because of a mere fifteen euros. Least the ticket was pretty.

Jonathan (free loading European) and I began the overall tour of Versailles which would be I believe my second (or third) time taking the tour. Hold up audience, yes I've done this before but not really. Versailles is often under restoration and both times I was jipped on the one area inside that I wanted to see; the hall of mirrors. This would the first time that I would see it. Plus I don't remember the place in precise detail due to me being around the age of fifteen the last time I was there. At the time I was more concerned with foreign male eye candy than museum tours. Let's now talk about the actual tour. Take my hand audience!

The tour began on the bottom floor and was of several notable paintings of Versailles. This was a "temp" exhibit since many of the rooms have yet to be restored. Regardless of the plaster walls it was an impressive tour of paintings. I do appreciate most arts forms (abstract postmodern can bite me) and oil paintings that have survived a few centuries always amaze me. I also see things that most art lovers would cringe at. This painting happened to be my favorite, Bataille de Marignan.

Note how the feather plumes resemble a pimp hat
Blame Fable Lost Chapters if you like since they introduced a pimp hat into a fantastical setting. Comments like that often flow through my head and often I am wise enough not to say them. Least not to the other patrons around me. Once the paintings were looked at and admired it was time to climb to the upstairs.

The bedrooms and parlors were decked with crimson vein marble and gold. Louis never let go of the gold obsession. It somewhat clashes here and there but if you're king then your sense is the only sense. However the ceilings are incredible in Versailles. They are painted after the Roman (Greek) gods complete with a dome texture making the spectators like yours truly almost fall into a back-bend. I'm seriously going to have to treat myself to some Bengay once home. Worth the pain to see Hercules adorned with armor running across the ceiling.

I finally saw it audience I finally saw myself in the hall of mirrors. That is one room where light is necessary and the only one where I prefer it be present. It was just, crap I don't have the word. All I know is if I ever come across an incredible sum of wealth I might build one in my own home. Endless reflections of Mary in a giant hallway of light, sigh. Alright Louis, we at least have that in common.

Once Jonathan and I had seen the rooms (plus the hall of mirrors twice) we left to explore the outside garden area. This was also something I was cheated out of when last at Versailles. The problem with tour groups is that they are impatient. They need to learn to drift and allow people to just relax somewhere rather than rushing them off to another site. This time I was free to walk around the gardens without having to return to a bus before lunch. Actually lunch happened before Jonathan and I saw the greenery. He's not a gamer so he isn't able to handle hunger all that well. Worked for me, I can almost always use a sandwich regardless of famine.

We sat down at a restaurant just on the skirt of the gardens. It was a bit classier than the indoor cafeteria near the entrance to Versailles and had a better view. We had agreed that I would pay for lunch since Jonathan had spotted me for the all-day metro ticket. Audience the deal held strong which boosted my American pride. My lunch consisted of a sandwich (surprise!) and Jonathan had a decent meal. The best part was that we weren't sitting alone.

A family of Texans was herded our way and forced to sit at the long table with two strangers; well a fellow Yank and a European. I listened to their conversation and snickered at their opinions of France. It was a great reminder of all the things I felt France has skewed (fast food prices for example) and on how things worked in the States. Jonathan cringed the entire time which in turn made me smile more. Being me I then politely interrupted the family and asked where they came from in the States. They answered with “Texas” and while donning my winner smile I told them that it was just funny for me to run into other Americans out here. What followed is still making me laugh. The Texan said, "I know hon just nice to hear American English rather than the British stuff." Pretty sure Jonathan was about to die whereas I just laughed. Good lunch audience.

After the meal was paid we then left my Texan brethren (loose term since, well Texas) for a trip around the gardens. I know I'm not in terrible shape but damn I wish I were home to soak in a long bath. My calves were absolutely blasted by the time we made our way around. Props to all the joggers who do this for their morning run, I will never join you. The gardens were not in bloom but they still had a charm to them. Something about the transition from winter to spring has always looked beautiful in my eyes. Everyone else depends on flowers and blossoms for the pretty, I prefer the color green.

While walking Jonathan and I talked about many topics but one still stands out. I know virtually nothing of the game Cricket (capitalized simply cause I have that power). Literally zero. America's favorite pastime is the sport I watch which shouldn’t surprise anybody. Turns out Baseball and Cricket could not be more different.

Jonathan took the time to explain to me the concept, rules, positions, and field format of his country's sport. It does sound like an interesting game with the pegs and all but for a match to go on forever is just something I cannot grasp. For me sports games end, they torture you with stress and anticipation but they end. Always a winner and a loser. Infinite games, what is the point? Whatever, it may be something I will never fully understand but at least I now have a basic idea of Cricket. Also we made a deal that I'd take him to a Sox's game and in return I'd see a Cricket game. Fairly certain their stadiums don't serve curly fries which might pose a problem.

By the time we finished our leisurely "walk" I was near to passing out. Even though I bought a return ticket for the last train I ended up using it on an earlier departure. I was that exhausted. Sunshine and waking before noon really do me in but it was a day worth it. I wished Jonathan good bye and an early happy Saint Patrick's Day before boarding and simultaneously falling asleep on my train. I guess the conductor didn't feel like checking my ticket because when I woke up we had already pulled into Gare du Havre. 

I made my way home with Panic! which acted as my only source of consciousness (Nails and Tacks). I opened my door, kicked off my boots, dropped my coat, and fell onto my bed into a long sleep.

P.S. congratulations to my Blackhawks on an amazing win against the Stars. 8-1, eat it Texas!

No comments:

Post a Comment