Saturday, March 30, 2013

March 26th


I woke up hungover. Well I was woken up by a phone call from my mother. Since I had drunk my weight in alcohol the night/morning before I was not entirely ready to face the day. I passed out after ending the conversation with my mother and woke up feeling tired. That was an improvement.

I prepared myself for the day with all the usual grooming habits. I might have been hungover but I always make a point to clean up in the morning. The time passed and the haunting hour of one o'clock appeared. I met Kate outside my room at 1:25 PM and we headed over to the hotel. I found my father and snoozing brother in the lobby. Their bags were there. I knew they'd be leaving but I felt it should've been later than Tuesday. I don't react well with heavy emotions.

All five of us went to the station and found the train to Paris ready and waiting. I hugged my parents and told them to enjoy Paris. Then the difficult part happened. I hugged Pete and refused to let go. Tears fell as I clung to my older brother. Come June I'll see my parents, I'll see my friends, hell I'll even see my old classmates. The one person I won't see will be him. Pete lives in LA now. Although there are planes and trains it's still a long way from Chicago. It finally hit me that we're grown up and aren't all living together anymore. He petted my hair and didn't let either.

Somehow I was separated from my brother's coat and smiled through a red face full of streaky tears. I sat with Kate and watched them leave. I waved and waved til the train was out of sight. Wiping the evidence from my face I followed Kate back to the dorm.

We feasted on Tour les Docks and watched Matt Damon. I slept restlessly and dreamed of my brother waiting for me at O'Hare. That reality really bites. I sound so whiny and bratty but I just hate the knowledge that I'm no longer living in childhood. Being an adult sometimes sucks. I hate heavy emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment