Saturday, March 30, 2013

March 29th


Waking up early is the ultimate sacrifice for the ones I love. Why must I love so many people?! Whatever, I ODed on Panic on the way to Paris which made the time infinitely more bearable. There was just one small nagging notion on my mind, I was broke.

I had exactly one hundred Euros to my name; fifty of those would be going towards spending the night with Natalie and twenty-five towards a ticket going home. That left me with fifteen euros to spend in Paris. Fortunately I had some small squeezable amount of funds on my LCL card to use towards a metro and RER day pass otherwise I would've been royally screwed. The realization that I was truly poor for a day in Paris withered a certain area of my mind. It brought forth responsibility with money which I detest. I'm at the age where I know money doesn't grow from the ground and am terrified by that fact. Yes sir, those thoughts stayed with me the entire train ride to Paris. Panic, thank my sanity that you're around.

I arrived, I moved, I took a metro line, and I arrived at the said meeting point perfectly on time. During some of that journey I received a call from my brother Pete who was London bound that day via the Eurostar train. Apparently Gare du Nord (North train station) had a bomb threat. Charming. Pete told me that they had shut down the Eurostar area and that he would keep me posted. That added some paranoia to my mind. No one (least I hope) would want their brother blown to bits. Sadly I was in the metro the next time he tried to reach me. I called back but had no answer. Huh. I sent a text. No answer after ten minutes. This whole thing was going on while I was waiting for Natalie at the meeting point. Hint, she was a bit tardy oh my darling Nay.

Back to Pete, I tried to call him again and was greeted with his answering machine. At this point I started writing his eulogy and prepared to live the rest of my life knowing that my brother exploded in a detonation. Then, from nowhere hope was given. I looked down at my spazzing phone to see the name "Pete" flashing on the eight-bit screen. Could it be him? It was, he was on the train and was fine. The bomb squad did blow something up but no one was certain that it had actually been a bomb. I was more or less relieved that my brother was fine and was on his content way to London. Phew. Time to find Natalie.

She never actually met me at our rendezvous point, damn. Rather she and her sister Jen plus RT Jen's beau were at a café at the bottom of Sacre Coeur. Good thing I had a map on me and that I was relatively close by. I walked maybe two blocks and found my trio of Americans. We all embraced and said hopping hellos before I asked why the hell they didn't meet me at the original area. Apparently they (RT and Jen) thought the metro lines were bus lines. That would do it. Didn't matter, I found them and all was good. I then gave RT and Jen directions to the metro stop as well as instructions on how to purchase tickets. They left and I was finally alone with my beautiful lady Natalie. We went slightly crazy and completely happy together.

First stop of the day, Sacre Coeur cause we were there and stuff. Nay was sweet enough to buy me a nutella crepe which my broke ass gratefully accepted. Mmmm crepe and climbing stairs. I guess I'm in better shape than I realized because while Nay was wheezing a bit (she has always hated stairs even in gymnastics) I was munching away at my crepe while we scaled the walkways up to Sacre Coeur. We didn't stop, hell we're in our twenties, and made it there just fine.

The view was stunning. I often forget how amazing heights are especially in urban areas. True in the country you can see for miles but those miles are filled with corn. I'd rather see buildings and constructed history lay before me in a wonderful maze of technology. I could never be on a farm.

Since we were up Sacre Coeur we decided to go into the actual church. It was churchy otherwise known as vast and quiet. The silence is what bothers me because it isn't absolute silence. Rather you hear a murmur constantly in the background like a seventeen year cicada drone. Really that's all I have to say about the inside of the church. Well that and I avoided the holy water. I have this fear of it burning my hands, best not to take the risk.

We existed and had no idea what we should do next. Coffee sounded like a great idea but lunch sounded better. Nay and I decided to go back to her hotel since it had a shopping mall across the street with decent coffee but stop for lunch on the way. Well, Saint Lazare happened to be on the way. A score for MareBear. I was able to grab a jambon buerre sandwich (I am seriously addicted) and a coke to boot. Nay and I sat together outside of the indoor Starbucks and finally did what I had been craving. We talked.

Oh to hear English at its proper speed was wonderful. Natalie and I (plus Suzy) can talk at what my brother describes as a supersonic haste. I admit I can speak English fast (not as fast as Nay) but such suits my age. The surrounding people stared at us. I doubt they had ever seen two hyped American girls gossiping and discussing their lives. Unfortunately for you audience I cannot tell you anything that we talked about for three reasons; I don't remember it word for word, it was a private conversation, and you wouldn't know whom we were talking about. Audience you'd be lost. Anyhow we did that for a nice long time before leaving for coffee.

Nay and I hopped the metro, rode the RER, and arrived at Laplace where her (soon to be mine) hotel was. After some confusion of not knowing exactly where the hotel was we found the shopping center across from it; the very shopping center that had coffee within. Well first we stopped by the Monoprix for some booze. Nay had seen Jager there and due to Monday's events I was plum out of alcohol. Sadly so was Monoprix. Damnit, guess I'll have to buy some later in Le Havre. Nay grabbed a pack of Heineken instead and we made our adorable way to the coffee café in the middle of the mall.

I helped Nay order her espresso but by helped I just said "c'est tout" to the employee. She did everything else on her own. We then sat with our coffees and talked even more. It was epic. We then grabbed two more coffees. Guess what we did? Well we drank them and stared awkwardly at some kids then talked then chatted then babbled then squealed then sighed then laughed. It was great times.

The hours past and we returned briefly to the hotel. There I dropped a few things off (the beer) and regrettably was exposed to a brie cheese that Natalie had purchased. Two thoughts entered my mind when Nay had me smell the cheese; rotten and Decatur Illinois. That memory of that brie still causes me to gag even whilst writing this blog. It was scarring. We left the room (I ran out) and headed for the RER station. I had persuaded Natalie to go with me to Notre Dame since she had yet to see the gothic cathedral and because it is beautiful at night.
We lucked out severely because we walked in on a service. It was in Latin and French (the singing mostly Latin) which was pretty dope from my perspective. Nay took some footage and I absorbed Notre Dame in function. The church is amazingly somber and mysterious at night with the Latin chants ringing throughout the halls. I felt as though I were in the Twilight Zone except no one was trying to screw me over. We stayed for a decent while before leaving for dinner. Hey, hunger controls my life.

Nay and I ended up dining at the Hippopotamus restaurant. I was later informed that it is in fact a restaurant chain but I could care less, it was my first experience which makes it special. I had a burger (surprise there) and Nay ordered some steak. I forgot to warn her that the French undercook their meat. Her medium came out more medium-rare but she ate it with a smiling face regardless. Good for you Nay, I personally can't handle a mouthful of blood. We ate and drank fruity alcoholic concoctions and laughed here and there. It was a good meal and I was relieved to have the hotel right across the street. I didn't become lost this time. Miracles happen audience.

Before we headed off the hippo way Nay and I had reserved another room at the hotel. It happened to be right across from Jen and RT's room which was a convenient stroke of luck. It was a twin bed room meaning double the pillows. Audience this girl is one of my best friends whom I've known from my freshman year of high school. We had a pillow fight in our pjs. These pillows were perfect too. They were slim, soft but also held their shape. I smacked the crap out of Nay and she did the same to me. It ended with her belly flopping on top of me (Nay is much taller) and beating my face with a pillow. We both were laughing our asses off the entire time. It was a great way to end the night. Laughing, drinking, singing, and being with my bestfriend. All in Paris.

P.S. We became lost on the RER going back to the hotel after Notre Dame. Thought you should know.

No comments:

Post a Comment