Monday, May 13, 2013

May 11th

Early morning again. Kate volunteered for the first shower which gave me about fifteen extra minutes of snooze. Something I'll never learn in life is that it is better to actually "get up" rather than lie in a half-sleep mode for a mere fifteen minutes. Those minutes are like the orange cheesy residue from a fresh bag of Cheetos coating your fingers; ecstasy that lasts for only a moment before you crave more.

Kate stepped out of the shower and it was my turn. Ugh time to move MareBear. I climbed down from my bunk and stumbled into the shower. Fastforward to twenty minutes later after breakfast. The other two girls had woken up and were using the bathroom to become ready for their day. I decided to do my final touches (make-up) outside on the balcony. It was pretty stellar. There was enough sunlight to do my eye liner plus the breeze was wonderfully refreshing. The joys of being outdoors.

We flung our stuff into our bags and slipped downstairs to check out. It would be another day of carrying everything on my back. Good thing I have Bengay in Le Havre. Today's agenda was flea markets. Not just ordinary flea markets but antique ones.

The first market was in the southeastern area of Paris and was what I could call a typical flea market. Vendors had tents set up all around with clutters of things on display. Now most of it is junk or broken but occasionally you'd find something worthwhile. Unfortunately most of the worthwhile stuff was out of my price range. Guess I'll have to return when I'm old and have money in the world. After I've built my hall of mirrors of course.

I did grab a little something for my mother for Mother's Day. It's small but I think that she'll like it. Sides I'll probably add a few things to it just for special details. I found a few things that my dad might have liked but decided to not splurge. I love my dad, I simply felt that the items weren't worth it. Sides I have a great idea for a gift for his birthday. It's something you can't buy too.

Alright back to the markets. Kate and I spent a few hours at the first one before heading into central Paris. I had an errand to do for my mom which involved paying a visit to the Lancome boutique on Faubourg St. Honore. Being a student traveler I was dressed in jeans, a sweatshirt, and my beautiful destroyed converse shoes.

Aren't the cracks mesmerizing?
My mother forgot to tell me that this was the fashion center of Paris. Uh what? I have never felt more out of place in my life. Kate wasn't too keen on the place either but at least her shoes didn't have holes in them. Honestly the store cashier was the most nonjudgmental woman in the world. I entered Lancome and she instantly greeted us with a smile. I told her the type of perfume I was looking for and she instantly took me to it. After a sample (the stuff smells amazing) I asked her for two bottles. She packed it away in a lovely Lancome bag and rang up the order. Then she provided some day and night facial lotion samples for me. Wow, thank you so much for being an incredibly kind person. It honestly helps and makes me want to return when I have money and proper footwear. 

Success I bought the perfume! Now time to find Jonathan. Kate and I decided on a giant church since it was obvious and had steps to sit on. The sun was making the day hot so I stripped off my layer of sweatshirt. Damn heat waves. In any case Jonathan found us (and gave Kate a small scare) which prompted our little trio to go find some food. We were wonderfully successful. 

Jonathan once more spotted a restaurant. He's pretty good at randomly finding food in France. This place was called Chick Can and served chicken. Odd name but the food was frickin' amazing. I had a chicken breast with a side of tomato salad and boiled potatoes. The manager was friendly and dramatically described all of the food. To give you an idea of how awesome this place is, they provided cold glasses of free water. In France. Big deal dude. 

After lunch it was time for more markets. Unfortunately (sorta) we undershot the northern antique markets by a few blocks and ended up in the illegal market area. By illegal I mean the stands were legit but the merchandise was questionable. I never feel comfortable in areas like that. Somewhat of a Sterling (Illinois) vibe to it. Just as if something is going to swallow you whole. Or that some notes might mysteriously disappear from your wallet. 

We looked around there for a short time (Kate wanted to) before finding the actual markets. I was the one who discovered them down an alleyway after seeing a group of elderly strangers disappear. Sounds safe. When we stepped into the alley it was as if the rest of the world stopped. The noise of the streets was gone and all around where stalls and shops of oddities and curiosities.

I didn't buy anything in these markets either. There were some lovely pocket watches and pens but they just weren't feasible. I'll splurge when I have my own money. It will actually be mine then, no risk of losing it from being grounded or in debt.

A few hours later and we found ourselves tired and thirsty. What to do? Swing by a cafe near Chatelet and have a few beers/wine and watch the clouds go by. Least that's what I did. Kate and Jonathan talked about Aberdeen and I found myself drifting in the sky. Guess the phrase "head in the clouds" was named after someone like me.

Not long after it was time to go home. Saying goodbye sucks. It really does. You'd think after the long twenty-one years of life that I've experienced I'd be an expert at saying goodbye. Nope, it's always difficult. June is really going to suck.

One train and one coach ride later Kate and I were back in Le Havre. We stopped by our favorite kebap shop for some dinner before returning to St. Nicolas. As soon as I entered my room I dropped everything and kicked off my sneakers. It was time for Bengay and bed. Hello Blackhawks blanket.

No comments:

Post a Comment