Tuesday, May 7, 2013

May 7th

Ok this weather is really starting to tick me off. Why can't there be more wind or rain or something? Or why couldn't my class have been later; 2:00 PM is not ideal for avoiding hot areas of the day. Sigh, first world problems audience.

Besides me complaining about the heat I did have an interesting day. First there was class (make up course) which was Lexicology. This session covered more word categories like Onomatopoeia and Nonce Words. The onomatopoeia was entertaining. Hearing students of any language sound out "cock-a-doodle-doo" is hilarious. Thank you roosters.

I did talk to my teacher after class since I discovered not too long ago that the written final exam was scheduled for June 28th. Big problem. MareBear will be in Wisconsin (yeah I don't stay in one place for too long) and unable to attend. My professor told me that she was fine with me taking the exam early I just had to let the department know. I tottered off to tell the secretary of English the good news.

Well first I registered for two speaking exams and then (in my somewhat broken French) explained my situation. I was told that I was telling them very late about leaving in early June. Wait, hold up. You guys posted the final exam dates in April and I'm the bad one for giving you a month's heads up? Seriously? No, no I won't play this French mind game.

What ultimately was decided is that I will take the speaking exam and the speaking exam only. If I pass then no need for the written exam. Ok, that works for me! Time to see French children.

Somewhat saw French children. Apparently I didn't have to tutor today since Anne was gone on a trip. Mme Racadot explained on the phone to me and apologized for forgetting to shoot me an email. I told her that it was no trouble at all. In fact I finally was able to see their backyard garden. The lilacs were lovely.

Home, please something shade me as I walk to Saint Nicolas. Backpacks are not your friends on days like today. Once I entered my room I ran into a freezing shower. Yeah I don't handle heat too well unless I'm dressed appropriately or have a lake to swim in. Felt amazing with 311 blasting in the foreground. And the brightside is that cold water never runs out.

I then received a call (while still in a towel) from Kate asking if I wanted to meet her at the train station so that we could buy our Paris tickets. I agreed and soon after shaking my hair out and grabbing some clean-ish clothes I left for la gare. Turns out the line was long and slow. We skipped out and headed to the beach. There's always tomorrow for tickets.

At the beach we found a small group of our friends playing beach volleyball. Kate and I simply observed from the docks and enjoyed the sea breeze. Nearish to sunset our friend Scott unexpectedly stopped playing and took a seat next to us. He had whilst kicking the volleyball bent his big toe's nail backwards causing sand and blood to mix. Oh dear.

Being a somewhat pseudo-mother figure I went to work on the cleaning the wound. Fortunately I had brought a bottle of water with me and had some tissues and moisturizer in my purse. I did forget the band-aids at home but close enough. I cleaned his foot up and applied a bit of pressure to seal the wound. Afterwards we had ice cream.

In fact it was gelato from my favorite little beach stand. Scott went for lemon sorbet while I had pistachio and Monster energy gelato scoops. Try something new every day audience. Besides it was delicious.

Not long after sunset we all left for home; the trio of Kate, Scott, and me headed to St. Nicolas for some much needed down time. We did detour to a popular burger franchise but then went home. I unfortunately have laundry to do since my entire wardrobe is in a pile on the floor. That's my laundry bin. Good thing I have a can of monster ready, this could take a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment