Friday, May 24, 2013

May 22nd

What slinks on the ground, wears a shell, and leaves a slimy trail? My supper!

Today we (Julie, Jaimie, Kate, and me) decided to have a last special dinner together since Jaimie was leaving in two days. I brought a can of cranberry jelly to the table (finally needed to eat that stuff) and shared in buying some dessert pies with Kate. We arrived at Julie's around seven somethingish and headed upstairs for dinner.

Everyone shrugged off jackets and shoes while Julie began work on cooking our supper. Tonight's menu included snails, quiche, cranberry jelly, and tarts. Quite a melange of flavor. Kate dj-ed for a bit before the platter of escargot were set before us.

Those suckers are tricky to get out, least with full-sized forks they are. The first one was hard for all of us until Kate unlocked the secret technique. This was a first for Jaimie and Julie whereas Kate and I had eaten snails before. They tasted as they always do like garlic butter. We had a fluffy baguette to go with and before long all the shells were empty. Time for quiche!

Now the quiche was devoured almost in the blink of an eye. It was cheesy and quichey and oh man was it good. I miss having an oven so much! Why must St. Nicolas be cursed that way. A microwave would've sufficed.

After that I broke out the cranberry jelly, with a proper can opener this time. No more knife tricks. I had expected Jaimie to have had it before at Thanksgiving but apparently her family doesn't do cranberries. Thus I was the sole veteran. Everyone seemed to like it and I had some leftovers as well. Dessert then crept onto the table.

I partook in the sugary delights that were tarts. There was an eclair but that's where I draw the sweetness line. When I returned home I did have to pop a few antacid tablets, desserts always do me in. Still the lemon tart, raspberry tart, and apple tart were lovely.

I'd say that it was a pretty stellar last meal for Jaimie that included a few firsts and a few familiars. She was with her friends, that's all that matters in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment