Monday, May 27, 2013

May 25th

Today was spent on mostly social accounts. It started in the afternoon (my sleep schedule has shifted yet again to a more nocturnal approach) with Kate and me going to the mall. 

It was a beautiful sunny day with fluffy clouds in the sky. Amazing how much the weather of an area can change at the drop of a hat, or day. We walked to town leisurely since we had time, no rush for anything. The first shop on the agenda was Sephora. Kate needed to replenish her stock of face cream and had a 10% off coupon to boot. Unfortunately when we arrived they were out of her lotion and compromises were made. I nabbed a small tube of sun protecting lip gloss in anticipation of the upcoming summer. 

We then swung by the ATM before heading out to lunch. Kate ducked into Takara's for some earrings for her aunt who apparently loves giraffes while I grabbed some fresh notes. Took me a few tries since I forgot which card I was using and entered the wrong pin twice. Oops. 

After all ATM issues were sorted Kate and I made our way to the Chinese restaurant next door. Before we arrived Kate gave me a small parting gift acting as an exchange for the Le Havre pocket knife I had given her two days earlier. It was a turtle necklace that fit like a glove. I felt like her main girl as she fastened the chain around my neck. Friendships like this are memorable and now I have another token to remember her by. 

Lunch then occurred with plenty of delicious caramelized dishes, rice, and even a palm sized almond cake. This restaurant has been a go-to for us since the beginning. Everything is starting to feel like tradition with the end of the year approaching which in its own was is endearing. Plus the rice was especially sticky today which went perfectly with caramelized chicken. 

I then had a new experience. Some background info that is grim; on Thursday a family friend known as my Grandma Wilma passed away. She was 92 which is perfectly amazing, regardless all of us miss her terribly. So I decided to write a letter to Uncle Joe (her husband) since I was unable to attend the wake ceremony. This involved me visiting a post office since I own zero stamps in addition to it being an international letter. Rather than a queue of people with packages and envelopes to mail I was ushered to a machine. Oh boy. 

All in all the machine was rather easy. I did fluke at one point when entering the country name. Being a native  English speaker I punched the first letter as "U" for United States forgetting that in French is it Etats-Unis. Good thing Kate was there otherwise I would've been confused for at least an additional five minutes. My French and English tend to mix when I'm not paying attention, my only excuse. 

We then stopped by the supermarket for a few goodies before returning to St. Nicolas. Later on we attended a birthday party for one of the Brazilian students. I wasn't exactly keen on going but I hadn't been to a party in a while and needed to shrug of the MIA feeling. In the end I was glad that I went since Julie was there and it was her last night in Le Havre. I mingled for most of the night and even fixed myself a martini before calling it a night. Julie received huge hugs from me. She will be missed. 

I made it home fine (stay in the light audience) and read a bit more of A Spot of Bother before drifting off to sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment