Friday, May 17, 2013

May 16th

Oy today was-well it was my final exam. Fun doesn't really do sarcasm justice. Strangely enough I wasn't freaking out like I normally do. Rather I calmly woke up, met Kate outside, and proceeded to the library for last minute review. Catholicism, secularism, Islam, Hinduism, kill me-ism. Like any subject, if you aren't actually that interested it makes it that much harder to revise the facts.

It then happened. I was early and picked a stellar spot of the lecture hall, at the end of course. Being at the end has its gains because when you leave it is swift and smooth. Sure you may have to move for other people but that's less awkward than their situation.

The exam itself was underwhelming. I had expected something more productive than "commentaire de documentation" on secularism. Surely I can't be serious but a comparison between two religions would've been more beneficial at demonstrating knowledge of the overall rather than a topic known to all French students. Guess my professor was preparing for the students who attended the first and last lecture only.

I did my best (with my little pocket dictionary at my side) and wrote a decent enough essay. It had a beginning, middle, and end anyhow. For good measure I also wrote that I was a foreign student. This professor though polite is completely French; she sees every student's work as equal despite the fact that foreigners aren't fluent in her native language. Sensing a bit of "entirely skewed expectations" which is a common enough symptom for most French professors. Solution? Study abroad office sends the LSH secretary to "chat" with these teachers. You'd think after years of being at the college they'd learn. Wait, right French thing.

Ok that paragraph was a low blow but I feel as though I haven't been complaining enough about French culture. In the beginning (a long long time ago) I wouldn't shut up about it. Everything different that wasn't as "simple" or "friendly" as it had been in the States was instantly a problem. My calm nature of France is concerning because it means I may have, adjusted. Shiver, there's a thought to give you cauchemars. Oh damnit.

True dat Lio, right the wrong!
Why is there another Lio comic? Simple, I love the strip and it adds flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment