Thursday, April 18, 2013

April 17th

Today officially started when we had breakfast. Kate's mother was driving us to Kate's home when the two and a half of us (I was half asleep) decided to stop for some munchables. There was a small cafe general store that had a breakfast menu which suited everyone fine. In fact better than fine. I had true delicious striped beautiful bacon on an egg sandwich. Complete with ketchup of course.

Breakfast was demolished and we soon left for Kate's home. Even through the rain her house was stunning. It is the picturesque ideal of a Scottish countryside home with a massive field of a backyard and the architectural charm found only in American ideals of fairytales. Ladies and dudes MareBear has hit the jackpot! I'll post some pictures later when time enables itself. Pssst, I'm not over the top at all.

Entering the house I was again blown away. The kitchen had an old fashioned range and most of the bottom rooms had modernish franklin stoves for heat. Just gahhh, so stellar! I was given the tour and repeatedly couldn't believe the beauty of this home. My room for this stay was on the top floor across from Kate's and appeared perfect for two reasons; cold and green. I was warned that it becomes chilly at night which only caused a grin of response from me. Nothing can compare to waking up under a fluffy blanket to the crisp cool of the day. Let's spell it out, J-A-C-K-P-O-T!

Soon after our arrival Kate's father appeared with two companions. Doggies! How I have missed having loving friends of fur that jump around while wagging their tails and kissing mercilessly. Clootie has become my big dog best friend and Muffin has become my small cuddle buddy. Treacle the cat is also included in cuddling but he's more of a lap pal. Ah pets, so happy.

Kate's parents are also wonderful, not going to forget them. Her father is humorous and reminds me of my own especially in the TMI department. Her mother is sweet as punch with one of the loveliest smiles I've ever seen. Both of them have made me feel so welcome in their home. I hope to be an adequate guest since well, I'm rough round the edges audience. Not everyone enjoys that style of personality. Pray for me to be good.

After some chitchat in the common room I decided to wash up. I had several days of travel layered on my skin which merited some shivers of disgust. I was granted a bath. A big steamy boiling bath. Nothing is better than soaking in suds with conditioned hair and a cold cloth draped over your eyes. I didn't take too long, that've been rude, but enjoyed every second of relaxation.

Kate hopped into a shower and before too long we were dressed and ready. Both of us sighed from relief. Clean has never fit so well. We then chilled for a short while before departing on a walk with the dogs. Big perk of Scottish families, they have extra rain boots, jackets, and hats.

We all walked together in the grey rain without any cares. It was good to stretch our legs while intaking endless supplies of fresh air. The dogs seemed to enjoy the weather regardless of their soaked fur. I was happy to have a hat, especially since I somewhat resembled a cowgirl.

The walk went all the way to a strawberry farm where we stopped at a general goods store for some treats. Now audience what is the last thing you would eat after leaving a chilly rain? If your guess was ice cream then ding ding, correct. Kate, her father, and I all enjoyed some creamy desserts on sugar cones. I'm sure most of you are shaking your heads but I've done stranger. Try mashed potatoes and gravy in a movie theater during July. That was a good day.

After the cones we headed back home with sugary smiles. I just called it home. I'm really not going to want to leave which is wonderfully bittersweet. At the house lunch was served followed by more R and R. Dinner was beef stir fry and noodles sided by wine. I ate my fill which for me wasn't much, still in the process of winning my full force of appetite back.

Kate and I ended the night with a few films before collapsing onto our beds. I can't believe this was just day one. I feel as though I've been here for so much longer. That's a comforting thought seeing as I have over a week to go with the Applebys. Clootie and the others don't seem to mind at all.

P.S. I thought that this should be mentioned. I saved a pain au chocolat from France all the way to Glasgow, not sure why. Anyhow when we arrived I was hungry and didn't want snack food since it was 8 AM. Thus the first thing that I ate in Scotland (this time round) was a French pastry. Oh MareBear.

No comments:

Post a Comment