Tuesday, April 30, 2013

April 29th

So Mondays? Well today turned out to be a tad different from the others. I was blushing from embarrassment for the latter half of my day. Some background info first.

Nothing like a frothy bowl of oatmeal to start the day. For me there isn't a more filling breakfast. Seriously, doesn't exist on my spectrum. I tried a different method and used soy milk. Perhaps the second best decision I've ever made with oatmeal; the first being a drop of maple syrup added to the brew.

I took my time becoming ready for the day. A nice long shower to the tunes of Aim and Ignite by Fun. followed by make-up and hair. I even opened my windows to let in some fresh air. Felt right seeing how it is spring. Sides the scent of cooking isn't pleasant after a while.

Then I left for university shortly before noon. But MareBear you only have one class on Mondays and it's at 3:30 PM. Completely true and accurate dear audience. You've just earned bonus points for paying attention (not making attention). Yes, I was going to university but not for class. Rather two of my friends, Agnese and Ieva, asked if I could be in a video project. They said I would just have to read a few lines in Latvian. I warned them that I had no idea how to speak Latvian but they assured me it would be fine.

I arrived at the SRI office and was pleasantly surprised to see Jessy. We hugged and said hello in the typical French style. Jessy then shocked me with the uncommon compliment, "Mary you've lost weight." That threw me for a loop. Really? How? The amount I had been eating and drinking over vacation should've caused the opposite. Guess it's a good thing? Anyhow we moved on and I told him how much I had missed him. I'll be seeing him later in the week for my birthday celebration. Yay!

Turning around I found Ieva, Agnese, and Kate. That was again a slight surprise. Kate originally wasn't able to do the video due to classes and exams. She told me later that she had an hour break and ran into Ieva and Agnese while going to the library. It was helpful of Kate to stick around, after all the girls wanted as many nationalities as possible.

Recording happened first inside then outside (French people are overly loud in heels). I did my best to attempt the Latvian in front of me. That being said my best was something similar to trying to shoot billiards with a piece of rope; a miserable fail of an attempt. Still for my friends I'd do most anything.

I thought nothing of it and returned home for some lunch. Not before swinging by the market for some apples (addict) though. Can't help my cravings. I also bought some strawberries. It's the season and they smelled heavenly. Plus they were the small pinkish type rather than the giant red ones. I do love palm sized strawberries with scarlet flesh drizzled in chocolate but the petite wildish ones are better for straight eats.

Lunch was good as was my afternoon before class. I worked on some art studying, edited a chapter, and sent a few key emails. I also began to organize my schedule for the next few weeks. Due to final exams lasting over a month here things become a bit screwy with class times. Top it off with random sections of the week being days off and you have a whole slew of fun.

Then class happened. I was happy to see Martel again (one of my favorite professors) and all of my friends. We started with discussing what we did over break. Apparently distillery is disstillerie in French. Glad that my alcohol related vocabulary isn't complicated. There was a slight "pop quiz" section to class where Martel asked us which was correct for describing a vacation C'est bien or C'est bon?

To the logic of grammar it would be bien since it is an adverb modifying the verb est or ĂȘtre. That is the correct answer as well. The problem arises when you are describing something that you "feel" is good in French. Basically like us saying in English when describing soup as "It's good". Really we are saying "It's good soup" but have chopped off the noun at the end. Same for French. Lesson over! Just found that interesting is all.

Everything so far has been smooth in the day. Then the video happened. Fortunately I was not the star but possibly one of the more popular characters. I just failed completely. I kept saying "god damnit" and "aw shit" the three or so times whenever I saw myself appear on screen. Doesn't sound like much and in class it wasn't. I went home and was met with the realization that facebook exists and loves to bite me occasionally.

I was blushing throughout my evening. A handful of friends including some who don't even attend university here commented on how "cute" and "funny" I was. Please someone shoot me. I can't handle being called cute in a foolish sense. It just causes a mix of unpleasant feelings that parallel a child making a speech in front of their peers for the first time. The tight knots in your stomach, burning red face, and let's not forget the jolts running down the spine. Facebook and youtube, they can have that affect on a person.

Despite my better judgement I'm giving this to you audience. You'll see several students that I've mentioned in the blog before as well as myself. Sides I'm certain that in the future I'll shrug off the video as being entertaining. Still enjoy my embarrassment, that's what it's there for.


No comments:

Post a Comment