Monday, April 22, 2013

April 22nd Glasgow

Old habits die hard. MareBear was lazy and spent a good chunk of the morning in bed dozing. Kate sprang up and out sharing coffee and breakfast with Lil and David. I somewhat regret not doing that since Lil went off to work but such is life. No one scolded me though, plus there.

I gathered my things as did Kate and we set off to the train station. We had a short stop at a bank where Kate deposited some checks that had been given to her for her birthday. She turned twenty-one in February. Yeah those checks needed to be cashed.

Anyhow I gave David a big hug goodbye before entering the train station with Kate. The weather looked skeptical, rain. I held on hope that it would clear up since neither of us had proper rain gear. Audience my destroyed converse shoes are incredibly comfortable. Their only flaw is that they are complete cracked on both sides exposing them to any and all forms of water. Rain equals bad.

On the train (while I held my fingers crossed for some clearer Glasgow weather) Kate and I caught some admiration from a stranger. He was blond with Michigan blue eyes and a toothy white smile. Every time we looked  (he was sitting across from us) he gave us a grin complete with a nod. In fact I even caught him drooling over us. Literally drool ran down his chin.

Now to dissuade you all from thinking this poor boy was a complete creep I will give you the key detail; he was no more than two years old. In my experience with children (which is actually rather versatile) then tend to love pretty girls. This little toddler had fallen under the spell that females such as Kate and I possess which causes men and women alike to adore our beauty. And people say that I'm too modest.

Glasgow arrived and the weather looked more promising. The winds were decent but to be honest the train had been on the overly warm side. In other words I welcomed cold breezes. While walking Kate and I grabbed some brunch to-go known as a steak-bake from Greggs. My best description is a portable pot-pie filled with beef instead of chicken. Literally the pastry was that flaky and delicious. MareBear found her favorite Scottish dish.

It was then shopping. Oh how I love to spend money that I technically did not earn. Somehow when I'm post grad I think I'll whistle a different tune. Whatever, undergraduate status remains! Of the things that I bought one was a new dress (this time black muwhaha), a small purse, a cloth with Scottish sayings, a gift for my mother for Mother's Day, Paula's souvenir, some Mark's and Spencer's muffins, some licorice (strawberry and original), and probably something else. Full day of goods.

Kate and I did do other things besides shopping. The main one was visiting the Kelvingrove Museum. Dali's famous crucifixion painting was on display there plus many other pieces of art. I found the building itself beautiful and fascinating from the architecture to the hanging heads of expressions in the main hall. It was a kickin' time though by the end Kate and I found ourselves exhausted. Damn we needed a pick me up. Such happened but it was more than we had anticipated. Oh just keep reading.

Adult-Kate was going to drive us back to Kate's home after she was done at work. Quick reminder adult-Kate is a professor in Glasgow, completely perfect situation. She told us to meet her at a coffee shop known as S'Mug. Upon arrival Kate called adult-Kate to find out that it would be at least another half hour. Not a problem, we were at a coffee shop. Kate and I both ordered large drinks and gratefully sat down. The shocker occurred when the drinks arrived.

I did not receive a mug of coffee, oh no I had a giant bowl of coffee that happened to be mug shaped placed in front of me. I swear it was half a pot at least. Kate ordered a Chai Latte, good move. I ordered an Americano, stupid move. Audience I somewhat proudly/shamefully drank the whole thing. Once it wasn't scalding of course. Glad I'm not caffeine sensitive but I don't think that sleep will come easy tonight. Oh dear.

Adult-Kate soon arrived and we left S'Mug for home. I was twitching in the back a bit but kept my cool relatively well. Kate and I said our goodbyes, shared some wraps for dinner, and relaxed on PCs for a lil while. Tomorrow is tourist game again so hopefully I'll sleep at some point tonight. If not, well maybe there will be a S'Mug in Edinburgh.

No comments:

Post a Comment