Wednesday, April 24, 2013

April 24th Edinburgh

Finally audience my mission has been accomplished. After nearly four years I have returned to the Scottish city that rivaled my love for Chicago for a short period of time. Told ya I'd be back Edinburgh.

Early morning again accompanied by an M&S blueberry muffin. Serious addiction to those and rather happy about that. I love addictions almost as much as temptation. Blueberry muffin, shower, stretch, eyeliner, and clothes somewhere in there. We left around nine thirty and had plenty of time. Plenty of time is nice.

Kate and I were dropped off at the Dunblane train station (near Stirling) and waited in the dim sunlight for our train. Bamn it appeared. Bamn we rode it (far more comfortable than SNCF). And Bamn we arrived in Edinburgh. Steak Bake plus Millie's cookies and we were on our way to the castle.

Again I love castles audience. This was the first castle I had ever been to officially in my life which makes it special. This time I was able to wander at my leisure around the castle with Kate which was far better than a tour. If you haven't realized I'm not into tours. The boundaries just aren't fun.

At the castle we did quite a lot. First was a stop by the cannons where a costumed employee was giving a demonstration of history. His most exciting crowd gathering technique was when he fired his musket and blew everyone's ears off. Some of them may have needed brown slacks.

We then checked out the war memorial. It was beautiful and peaceful. D.C. is full of war monuments and memorials but many tend to be over the top. This building had light and stained glass as well as engravings. Made it more meaningful in some way. Plus the books of family names made it personal at least for the bloodlines who were viewing them. I'm not Scottish but I can appreciate as an outsider.

After that occurred my favorite time of the day. Anyone who has been to Edinburgh castle an hour after noon may have an idea of what I'm referencing. The one o'clock gun. It was loud and fascinatingly cool. Must be my American blood that loves the sound of gunfire. Just said way too much about my culture. Ah love the red white and blue.

Next on the line was the exhibit of medals. It was the war exhibit but I was mainly interested in all the shiny lovely medals hanging on the walls. The inner thief inside me wanted to swipe some but the security guard and two inch thick glass somehow dissuaded me. Still wonderful collection of history and honors.

It's time for my favorite area in the castle. To the surprise of no one it was the prisoner cells. I loved the all the hammocks and all of the damp dark atmosphere that the prisoners lived in. It was a comfortable area of the castle and an interactive one as well. They have voice recordings reenacting conversations between prisoners which are both entertaining and humorous. Recommendation if you're ever there.

The two ending activities to our visit involved the royal honours (just for you Edinburgh) and St Margaret's Chapel. The honours or an ancient sword, scepter, and crown are as beautiful and wicked as I remember them. The sword is perhaps the most perplexing. How can you lift the damn thing? The hilt looks as heavy as the blade! The Chapel was lovely too, quieter. Always quieter.

Souvenir shopping happened of course. I grabbed a different deck of cards (have the Edinburgh deck from four years ago at home in Chicago) and a quaich. I know North American audience, what in hell's name is a quaich? Simple a small cup if you will with two handles on either side that is used to drink whisky. Hey I need something to go along with my bottle. Sides it says Edinburgh and we don't have it in the States.

Time for lunch. Kate and I walked along Princes Street but went for Cockburn street instead for eats; the street name is not pronounced how it looks. Dirty hooked on phonics minds audience, shame shame. Anyhow we ended up at this little place on Cockburn that seemed humble enough. Kate was somewhat nervous at how empty it was but I reminded her that we were eating at an odd hour, after three o'clockish.

We were sat by the window and served glasses of water, with ice. France, take some notes! Kate and I ordered and were met with mouthwatering spreads. She had a plate with some rice, a fried egg, chicken, and fries on it. I had a mixed Portuguese dish that consisted of scrambled eggs, onions, olives, and cod. Can't resist cod anywhere.

Lunch finished up with a cup of mint tea for MareBear and an espresso for Kate. Probably the best part of the lunch was the fact that it didn't cost a fortune. Good food and fair price. Edinburgh I love you. It was then shopping, surprised? Well I dedicated myself to knickknacks today rather than clothes. Yeah running tight on space. Not for going back to France rather going back to the States. Least I'm conscience of it.

The day ended with me buying more muffins (addict) and falling asleep on the train. As Kate put it, "you're a vampire's wet dream." She was referring to how my head falls revealing my neck. Good thing I'm not dating a bloodsucker and that Kate knows when to wake me when the train terminates.

Back home we had a huge meal of coleslaw, tomatoes, salad, baked spuds, lamb, and wine. I sadly wasn't able to finish my plate just didn't have room. It was painful throwing away perfectly good coleslaw but such had to be done. The space wasn't in my belly and the dogs aren't into veggies.

Tomorrow will be lazy. I love late mornings since it means long dreams and drifting. Fingers crossed for good weather. Only time will tell. Patience audience, just patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment