Sunday, April 28, 2013

April 26th

This morning was difficult. No surprises there, Kate and I were leaving Scotland. Anyone would have a hard time leaving what they loved. Nevertheless after hugs Kate and I boarded the Megabus for London.

Now I can sleep almost anywhere audience, somewhat a cursed talent. I dozed for a bit on the bus with the help of my Ipod. While I was conscious I spaced out as I so often do. My mind enables me to drift away into fantasies which have had the recurring theme of New York City. Never been, wanna go.

Kate had her kindle but had to endure some yappy guy on the phone while reading. I only caught hints of his conversations when I had my headphones removed. This guy would not shut up. He was on the phone for the entire eight hour drive. My two main questions; who the hell was he talking to and how did his battery not die?

Moving on, we made it to London without trouble. There was fortunately plenty of seating and a Burger King there. Last meal in the UK and it was a delicious whooper. Too bad their fries really suck now.

We chilled at Victoria station for two hours until our next bus arrived. At first we sat near the back on the right-hand side of the bus. Seemed fine until a uh, "gentleman" sat in the row behind us. France, you need to stress to your citizens that deodorant is mandatory, at all times! He reeked of BO like choking the air reeked. Kate and I had to move. In the end it was one of our better decisions.

To the back of the bus we went. We were sitting right by the bathroom but it was better than being in front of Mr. Hygiene-capped. We were also sitting in front of three notably loud and hilarious young gentlemen. Their names were Mark (American), Chris (Canadian), and Josh (English). Kate and I talked to them for decent amounts of our bus ride. Kate more than me since I fell asleep. A lot.

These guys were sweet and flattering. Plus they were excited that I was from Chicago. A quote from Chris and Mark, "Oh my god Chicago is such a city. Absolutely beautiful." Finally people who don't mention Al Capone or gang warfare. Refreshing.

Halfway through the journey sort of we had to exit the bus for and ride in the passenger compartment of the ferry. Last time (going to London from Paris) our bus boarded a train and we didn't have to move. This occasion called for stumbling up staircases trying to find outlets and places to sit. We found both and I found myself tired. MareBear fell asleep on a table with a blindfold around her eyes. I tell ya it's a curse.

Ferry wasn't long and we landed in France about an hour later. I was woken up in a hazy state. Still tired. Boarded the bus, switched from my Fun. playlist to Amber by 311. Repetition of relaxing music, check. Light blue bandanna used as blindfold, check. Ability to relax and drift into sleep, check. Til Paris.


No comments:

Post a Comment