Friday, April 19, 2013

April 18th Crieff

Late mornings are too fantastic. I woke up and was met with a blustery day paired with a cool room. I could become accustomed to this.

Kate and I had some bagels and jam for breakfast with a few glasses of orange juice. We then showered, make-uped  ourselves, and faced the day. I did forget to turn the water temperature down which gave Kate  a quick hot shock. Heh, oops I like it boiling.

Today involved a trip into town (specifically Crieff) with Kate and her mother. The three of us piled into the car and began our journey through a slight drizzle. On the way Bohemian Rhapsody began to play which caused all three of us to start singing along. It caused many fits of giggling and smiles. Great start and great bonding.

We arrived in Crieff without trouble and parked in front of Kate's mother's clothing store. My own mother would love that boutique. It had a very Vera Bradley feel to it which would make every American woman squeal with pure delight. The colors were what I admired most. Just a paint pallet for every flavor of female.

Shortly after we explored the streets hopping into various shops for a few look arounds. It was window shopping at its finest. After all though souvenirs are nice though I'm hoping for a bit more materialist shopping while here. Tops and possibly skirts later on; jeans are starting to wear on me. Oy bad pun.

We did stop in a candy shop by the name of Gordon and Durward and bought a few plethoras of sweets. Duh. I nabbed some licorice bits, a few butterscotch candies, fizz whiz (pop rocks), and even two chocolate frogs. I dig amphibian desserts. Kate bought me some jelly babies to try since I have an obsessive love of jelly beans. Apparently the gel texture is similar thus she wanted me to try them. They are a winner in my book but need a licorice flavor. Every candy does. I also tried rhubarb and custards and soor plooms which were also delicious. Candyman can audience!

A short walk back to the car (with a stop in an interesting shop with beer bottle clocks) and we were on our way home. It was a relaxing drive back which was suitable. Somehow I was tired and it was only a little after five! Ay I need some energy boosts stat.

Kate and I lulled around just laxing for a few hours. No better way to spend time. Well Kate did put on a clear-out fashion show for me which wasn't a problem. Girl duty involves seeing your friend try on dresses and skirts and give honest opinions. Again not a problem.

Then a surprise visitor showed up, Kate. Alright to differentiate between my Kate and this Kate we will call the other Kate adult-Kate. There, problem solved. So adult-Kate came round and is a professor in Glasgow and an obvious family friend to the Applebys. Apparently she is a talented cook and is known for her chocolate log cakes. We should be seeing her soon which I'm looking forward to.

Dinner happened and I wish it could happen over and over in a never ending delicious moment.We had toad in a hole. For all my Americans out there I will explain. It involved sausages and Yorkshire pudding batter baked in a standard oven pan. Yorkshire pudding is a flaky buttery filler similar to chicken pot pie crust. It's almost an ultimate pan-made melange of pigs in a blanket, American styled of course. The meal was savory and crispy otherwise known as fan-frickin'-tastic.

After dinner was a film which seems to be traditional for Kate and me. It was the movie Crossing Over, one I definitely recommend. It had multiple stories and bittersweet endings. I enjoy stories that connect and end with more realistic emotions. SPOILER WARNING. I do feel for the Australian character Claire but she did try to cheat the system in a reckless way. Still sucks for her though. Oops, sorta spoiled that. Did warn you though. SPOILER OVER.

That was our day. A few more tv films followed, Legally Blonde and Little Black Book, as did more wine. Eventually around the hour of two Kate and I decided to go to bed. Hopefully every day will be this enjoyable for the trip. Signing off audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment